Calendar Poodle SAL

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Matryoshka



Good Morning friends! It is supposed to get above freezing tomorrow. Yay! It has not been above freezing in weeks. Today is the funeral service for Brian's 94 year old grandmother, my MIL's mother. This is the grandma that we took Henry to visit last month. It is a blessing for her to go Home. She had advanced dementia.

Do you remember the freebie I stitched last month. She has been waiting for some finishing. Once I realized she could not live in my snow globe, I knew what I wanted to do with her. Check it out.
Isn't she just adorable this way? I love her. Yes I do!
She is stitched one over one on 28ct evenweave with DMC 815. I hand stitched her to the backing fabric. Turning her right side out was challenging. She is so tiny! I had applied Fray Check to the edges of the evenweave. Very glad I did that! I covered a tiny washer with a bit of matching fabric. And hot glued it in place. I was going to use a dime for the base, but that was too big!!

I found 3 thimbles on ebay recently. Two of them were pewter and I could care less about them. It was the third one listed as " a metal poodle thimble" that I wanted. I felt guilty for a bit, since I knew, just knew this was an unmarked silver poodle thimble I have been wanting for half a year. They rarely come up on ebay or etsy. When they do, they sell for more than I want to pay. However if you persevere and are a poodle nut like me, you watch and wait! Some of them are marked sterling or .925. This thimble came to us as dark as the pewter ones. I got out the silver cleaner and went to work. It took a lot of work, but just look at it now! =)
Love. LOVE. LOVE!!! All three thimbles were bought for the total of $6.00. Hooray! Deals still can be found!

We still have to shop for a few of the children from the Dove Tree. We will do that today.

We all went to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug last night! Wahoo! What a great movie! I was not ready for it to end. And it was 161 minutes long!

Have a super day friends! I am hoping all is merry and bright in your world. Take care!

Stitching and baking and praying,
Vickie
http://vkutschenberg.beepworld.de/files/poedel161.gif

35 comments:

Annie said...

Your doll looks so sweet. I know it's hard to work with those tiny fiddly things.

Congrats on the thimble find. Bet you have some great arm muscles now after all that polishing!

Shirlee said...

Great job on the doll & congratulations on getting the thimble! Sorry to hear about Brian's grandmother. It's a blessing that your last memory of her is the joy that Henry brought to her.

Margaret said...

Love the matryoshka! Oh my! The backing fabric is perfect too! So tiny! So sorry to hear about Brian's grandmother. Bless little Henry for visiting her. Fantastic on the thimble -- what a deal!

Mii Stitch said...

Your little doll finish is really cute & that thimble looks beautiful & shiny! What a find!!

Carol said...

How cute, Vickie--you did an amazing job on the finish! And I love your poodle thimble--what a wonderful purchase for your collection :)

My sympathies on the passing of Brian's grandmother, but I well know the feeling of her death being a blessing... We are going through the same thing with my dad--this was a terrible, terrible weekend for him (and us!).

gracie said...

The doll looks lovely, great job. As a collector of thimbles, I know the fun of getting one that is special. It really cleaned up nicely.

Anonymous said...

Vickie,
What an adorable finish and so tiny..I love the finish..You did a super job..What a great idea using the washer for a base..What a great find with the thimble..You did a wonderful job restoring it..

Have a great week!

Unknown said...

The thimble is shiny and new! looks like u had a lot of work hun? it is something so tiny..anyways..it is a great fiding, congrats!

The Matrioska is adorable! I love those kind of dolls as well as the Kokeshis :D

I'm so sorry to hear about Brian's grandmother :( Pretty sure that she is better than us now.

XOXO, Isa.

Mary said...

Your little doll is adorable, Vickie. Such patience you have with tiny details.
What a find with the thimble! It's a treasure for your poodle collection.

I'm sorry to hear about Brian's grandmother. You have a special angel in heaven watching over all of you today.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I love the thimble, being a poodle fan myself - well done for finding it. Henry's bow tie is so neat and cute, mind you poodles look good in anything:-)

Emma/Itzy said...

Such a pretty finish! I'm not sure I would of had the patience though!

Your thimble is adorable, and shhhusssh don't spoil the hobbit! Other half is taking me for my birthday :D

Giovanna said...

My condolences for your loss - there's always pain, even when you know that it is a blessing...
Your little doll is adorable, you did a great job finishing her. And congrats on the great thimble find.

Lumiruusu said...


Your Matrioska Doll looks very pretty and I really like the backing fabric You have choosed to her.

Thank You for viting my blog -it really makes me happy! :)

Are you going to give Christmas presents to your poodles?!
Our Misty the Chow Chow Puppy will get some treats and toys.. she has been so nice as well the Kittyes :)

Simply Victoria said...

Sorry for your loss.

The thimble looks terrific with your patient cleaning job. Creative work with the matryoshka

Cathy B said...

I love the doll you made. Perfect finish. Great find in the thimble too. Merry Christmas to you!

Varla Lee said...

Really cute!!! <3

Catherine said...

So sorry on your family's loss.
Your finish is adorable and that thimble is amazing ~ so glad you were able to get it!

butterfly said...

Love your little doll Vickie she is so beautiful.
Sorry about your GMM.
Keep warm my friend Hugs.

Michelle said...

Your little doll is adorable, Vickie. A wonderful find with the thimble! I'm sorry to hear about Brian's grandmother. Thinking of you all xx

Trace4J said...

Morning Friend
SO sorry for your loss.
But how wonderful to be HOME and free.
I love your darling doll.
Christmas Blessings

Magiczny Świat Krzyżyków said...

Beautiful matryoshka.

New York State Of Mind said...

Sorry to hear of the passing in your family.

I love what you made, it is beautiful.

Marilyn and Pierre

Alicia said...

Hola Vicky!!son preciosas!! las matriuscas que has hecho en color rojo para estos días Navideños, no conocía tu blog y me quedo como tu seguidora, te dejo el enlace de mi blog para que me visites es
http://aliegunon.blogspot.com.es/
Un saludo.
Alicia

Chris said...

I am so sorry for your family's loss.
Your finish is amazing! And the thimbles, wow!
So glad that you are having fun!

Brigitte said...

Oh my, Vickie, this little doll is so special. What a stunning way to finish her. Great job!!!
Yes, the little silver poodle is definitely a great find and a wonderful addition to your poodle collection. Enjoy.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I love your sweet little doll :) Perfect and tiny and well...just perfect!

♥ Nia said...

oh! what a cutie =) I love your little doll!! Great finish :D

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Love your matryoshka doll! It really turned out wonderfully! Fun thimble find!

Julie said...

Beautiful thimble.

Rachel said...

I LOVE that finish, how beautiful!

Melanie said...

Great, great deal! It cleaned up real nice. It was meant to be with you.

So sorry to hear about his grandmother. :(

Maggee said...

Condolences on the loss of Brian's Grandmother. I am glad that Henry contributed to a good memory with her! Family is important! What a teensy little finish that is! Phew! Merry Christmas if I don't see any more posts!

Annette-California said...

So sorry to hear of your MIL passing. Very glad that Henry got to cheer her. Your doll is so beautiful Vickie! You did a amazing job on finishing her. Congrats on finding your thimble - its so pretty.
Prayers for your family's loss.
love Annette

Solstitches said...

A lot of work I went into this little doll and she''s so pretty.
The thimble is beautiful.
Happy weekend,
Margaret

Beth said...

Oh she is adorable!