Calendar Poodle SAL

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Advent Calender Blog Hop

Hi friends! Today is the first day of Advent. The beginning of a wonderful time to prepare our hearts for the miracle of Christmas. The birth of our Lord!

I am the first to kick off the fun Advent Calender Blog Hop. If you are not familiar with it, take a look-see over here, on Jo's blog. You can check in with her, on her blog daily during Advent to see what everyone else has to share!  I pondered what stitch to share with you, and knew it had to be this one this year.

I have stitched this six times now. Never tire of it. It is called 'Bethlehem Scene' by Claudia Riff Finseth. I just love the simplicity of it. What a perfect reminder of the Gift we have been given. “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.” Matthew 1:23 

Since any of my followers recognize that stitch, I have stitched it up 6 times now, I thought I would share one more ornament made by me 2 years ago. This was a gift for Brian. It is from the 2011 JCS Christmas Ornament  Preview Issue. It is called 'Frosty Kiss' by SamSarah Design Studio.
Isn't it cute how they both had to take off their carrot noses for a kiss with their sweetie? ;)

Jo also asked for us participants in the Blog Hop to share a little something about Christmas Food. I put out a cookie platter every Christmas Eve, after our dinner of baked ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, a vegetable or two, and some hot rolls.

I make sugar cookies every Christmas. I use my Grandma Kehoe's sugar cookie recipe. I always make our dogs. We have had blue Kerry Blue Terriers, pink Lhasa Bichons and pink Poodles. This year I will be baking pink and apricot Poodle cookies. =)
I also make these 'Bear Claws'. yummy!


I do not have pictures of them, but I also make Mint Chocolate Truffles, Gingerbread cookies and Peanut Blossoms.These are the cookies you can count on in this house every Christmas. ;)

Unfortunately, Mary's Sampler has been set to the side for now. Too much  gift stitching to accomplish in the next few weeks. I will return to her as soon as possible. I love it!

Come back tomorrow for a fun visit! We will be celebrating a birthday in this household. Hint: it is one we have never celebrated before. ;) A lot of cuteness guaranteed! I will show you what I sewed as a gift. tee hee! ♥

Stitching and praying,
Vickie

42 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thank you Vickie, this is the perfect post to start the Blog Hop! I live and adore those Mabel cookies, a great way to remind Santa there is a poodle who has been very good this year!
The bear claws are amazing too.
I love both stitched pieces, especially the carrots in the snow people's hands!

Christine said...

Lovely stitching Vickie, and the cookies look delicious

stitchersanon said...

A lovely post and a great reminder of what Christmas is really about xx

stitchersanon said...

A lovely post and a great reminder of what Christmas is really about xx

gracie said...

I wondered who was to be the first...great post...lovely stitching and those poodle cookies look so cute.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful design to stitch for Advent ...

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

A lovely start to Jo's blog hop. Yoor baking looks delicious.

Karol R Johns said...

What a lovely and simple little ornament. Your bear claws look awesome!

Shirlee said...

A lovely post Vickie! I enjoyed reading about the ornaments & the cookies : ) My advent calendar post will be on Tuesday. I must start planning : )

Varla Lee said...

Beautiful cross stitch embroidery and the Mother od God is so tender!! I love also the cookies! Slupies!! Hugs, i'll come tomorrow for see your celebration.

Margaret said...

Love your stitching, and the cookies look so yummy! Oh how exciting! I know whose birthday it is!!!! Such a little cutie! Is he excited? :D

Shebafudge said...

The design of Our Lady is beautiful. I don't remember ever seeing it before. Those little snowpeople minus noses is so cute.

I love those bear claws! Amazing...any chance of the recipe please? In fact all the Christmas food sounds lovely so I think it's all over to yours for dinner this year ;)

Chris said...

Love this post Vickie!Your stitching is lovely and the pink poodle cookies just make me smile.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

A beautiful post to start off the most beautiful season of all!
Thank you for sharing!

Catherine said...

Lovely post! Sweet stitches and yummy cookies!

CalamityJr said...

I thought you had me with the cookies photos and Brian's snow couple, but the last picture is maybe the sweetest I've ever seen! Henry and Mabel cuddled together look like the bestest friends ever.

Lili said...

Your ornament is very beautiful.
Happy advent!

Hugs,
Lili

Janet P said...

I like the sound of those cookies (or biscuits as we call them) I usually just make shortbread biscuits in Christmassy shapes. x

temari by the sea said...

Beautiful stitching, those snowmen are so cute!

Kaisievic said...

Great post, Vickie. Lovely stitching and those bear claws look so yummy!

Trace4J said...

What a great post girlfriend
I love the beautiful ornament and the sweet snowman one too.
And the cookies..yummmo
Woolie hugs

Kevin said...

Beautiful stitching and a great way to start off the Advent Blog Hop! I'm looking forward to seeing all the surprise behind the doors on Jo's blog, and also visiting all my cyber-neighbors as we journey toward Christmas together. Your dog is a sweetheart! Merry Christmas and happy stitching to you.

Michelle said...

A beautiful post xx

Justine said...

What a lovely post to start us off! I loved the Frosty Kisses. So cute.

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Oh I love the picture of Mary and baby Jesus. I have seen this worked up as a filet crochet picture but I have never found the pattern. I am guessing they might have used the cross stitch pattern. This is one I will have to add to my list of must do's.

Awww looking forward to the up coming birthday!

Blessings always sweet friend.

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

those bear claws look like fun - would you mind sharing the recipe? I think the little ones and this big one would like them :P

Beth said...

The Madonna ornament is lovely Vickie.

Michelle said...

Such lovely ornaments so share with us! Those bear claws look so yummy!

Jan Gartlan said...

Lovely post! Happy Christmas

Carol said...

Such a sweet way to start of December, Vickie--beautiful stitching and baking :) I love the nose-removal--too funny! I'm sure Brian will love his special ornament this year :)

Astrids dragon said...

I love your finished pieces, the snow couple is adorable.

As for your cookies, yum!

Maggee said...

Well, you KNOW I love that stitched piece. Never found it, but have not given up. There is always ILL! Yummy cookies! Good for you! I will be Dec. 15th on the Advent Calendar Blog Hop! Hugs!

moreofhim said...

Beautiful ornaments! Your cookies are adorable - love the poodle cut-outs!

Many blessings - Julie

Unknown said...

Your stitching is beautiful and Thank you for sharing your stories with us.

Happy Advent :) xx

Andrea said...

Both ornaments are beautiful. Your cookies look just yummy!

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Your stitching is lovely - those kissing snowpeople are adorable! And your cookies look delicious, I love to bake during the holidays too :)

geeky Heather said...

A great way to start off Advent, indeed!! I am also a cookie fiend; I make at meat seven kinds every year...there are a couple my family loves so much that they probably wouldn't let me in the door if I showed up without! I hope you have a blessed Advent season!

EvalinaMaria said...

Cookies look awesome, I bet they're taste awesome too! Love your ornaments, specially Bethlehem Scene. Do you have any idea where I can find one?

Gillie said...

Thank you, Vicki, for the reminder of the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of our Saviour!

Love the ornaments and the cookies!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful ornament! It is so pleasing to look at.

Love the Frosty Kiss and the removal of the carrot noses! To cute!

I'm coming to your house for some treats. They all sound delicious.

Have a wonderful week!

cheryl said...

Lovely stitching. What a perfect way to kick off the Advent Calendar blog hop!

Brenda said...

Oh I love that Madonna ornament!!! Is it a free one or a chart that I can buy? If so, what is the name of the chart? What a perfect ornament to start our season off with!!!

Merry Christmas hon!