Calendar Poodle SAL

Monday, May 13, 2024

State Fair Entries

 Hi friends!  Well my State Fair entries for this year are ready. I would like to share them with you. I have one cross stitch piece this year. This is God Bless America by Artful Offerings. 

I stitched this one over two on 40ct Vintage Country Mocha. I used the thread conversion by Jeanne Horton of Country Sampler. I made changes to the pattern. I got rid of the alphabet under the American flag. I put in Land That I Love instead. I got rid of the circle of  13 stars and put in the 30 stars that would have flown in 1848, the year Wisconsin became a state. The pattern originally showed 1776 on the side of the barn. Since I am from Wisconsin, this has special meaning to me. 

I bought this barn wood frame from Hobby Lobby and Emerson cut it to size for me. The lower left corner may appear to be cut "off", but it is not. The barn wood is uneven at the point. The corner does meet perfectly, just not directly at the top. 80% of the corner connects perfectly. I love it in this frame.

Bowl of Pansies
This is my entry for Punch Needle in the State Fair. These took me three and half months to create!!
I bought a miniature punch needle to create this project. The needle is the size of a needle you get an injection/shot at the doctor. You insert one piece of embroidery floss in it at a time. 
I used this book bought for me by my Mother 10 years ago, to create these pansies.
As you can see, I changed all the colors of the pansies. I chose my own colors, and boy, that was not as easy as I thought it would be!!
I punched each pansy piece or leaf on a matching colored cotton fabric. Then seam sealed it with Fray Check. Twice. Then sealed the back with Gem-Tac. Then the nerve wracking part. Cutting each part out directly next to the stitching. 
I then had to use Madeleine's water colors to mix and match the perfect color to paint the small white wires for the backs. Once these were dry they were also glued. I bought green wire for the backs of the leaves. 😉😊
I had never done floral work of any kind, so this was a learning experience. I had to construct the pansies by layering, twisting and connecting the wires to a stem and adding the leaves. 
I inserted them in foam. And rearranged. And rearranged. And DONE! 😵

And now I am VERY MUCH ENJOYING stitching Christmas ornaments for my family once again!

And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good?  But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. “And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.”  But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed.  For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 1Peter 3: 13-17

Thank you for stopping by today my friends! Thank you for your kind words. I hope you have a wonderful week!

Stitching and praying,

Vickie





13 comments:

Carol said...

Oh, both of your state fair entries are perfectly lovely, Vickie! I love the changes you made to the cross stitch piece to make it more "Wisconsin-y!" The frame sets it off so well. And those pansies--wow! Each one must have taken hours and hours, but they certainly look like blue-ribbon winners to me! ♥

Robin in Virginia said...

Oh Vickie, both of your fair entries are beautiful. I love the barn piece -- the colors, the personalization and the frame ties it all together. Your pansy project is simply gorgeous. First glimpse, they look so life-like. Good luck to you in the fair; both are worthy of blue ribbons.

Stasi said...

Vickie...both your entries are wonderful. The barn wood frame is perfect for the stitched piece! Good luck...hope you win some blue ribbons!

diamondc said...

Vickie: Love the changes you made to the Barn very nice.
The Pansy's are amazing, they are beautiful, I hope you take home Grand Champion on both categories.
Thank-you for the beautiful Scripture.
Love your babies photo, so sweet.

Catherine

Terri said...

Love, love, LOVE your pansies! I see a Best of Show in your future!

Manuela said...

Both work for the fair entries are perfect. The punching pansies looks great. I like your color. The cross stitch finish is beautiful. Good Luck and I hope you win a good price.
Have a nice week. Manuela

Marilyn said...

The Artful Offerings piece is great, love your changes, & the frame is perfect.
WOW! Those Pansies are really gorgeous.
I see some ribbons in your future! Good luck!
Marilyn

Purple Pixie Dust said...


Wow, those pansies are so lovely and the stitching of the barn is fantastic. You should get blue ribbons for those. got my fingers crossed for you. Wish we had a fair here. Good luck Big Hugs Lynda Ruth

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Oh how beautiful! You should win grand prize blue ribbons on your beautiful work sweet friend. Blessings to you always ((hugs))

MartinaM said...

A great pattern, I really like your changes. It looks harmonious. The frame also fits perfectly. A very successful work.
Your little bouquet of pansies looks great.
Have a good time,
Martina

marly said...

Both entries worthy of Best of Show! The work involved with the pansies would have stalled most of us from a finish. Congrats Vickie!! Excellent work.

butterfly said...

Wow love those Pansies , you must be a winner with both entries . Hugs June,

Linda said...

I love love love the pansies!