Calendar Poodle SAL

Thursday, October 19, 2023

The Family Heirloom

 Hi friends!  I stitched and finished one mini stocking from the Blackbird Designs series for each month of the year! I am so very glad. I do not plan to stitch all 36 stockings in these pattern booklets, but I will be going back at some point and stitching some more of them.❤️💚

This is Merry Christmas from Merry December by Blackbird Designs 

I stitched this one over two on 35 count lambswool linen with the called for DMC and the CC Clay Pot. I lined the stocking with the same fabric as the back. 

I think I should have ironed it! I added the motif on the bottom. The date was supposed to be stitched on the bottom. I did not prefer that.

❤️💚❤️💚❤️💚❤️💚❤️💚

🤎🧡🖤✂️🧵 This is an antique scrappy log cabin quilt that is 63 1/2" x 81 1/2". It seems to be late 1800's. It has a wonderful variety of prints, solids, paisleys, sateens, velvets, and shattered silks. I thought about replacing the shattered silk, but no. This was given to me at my bridal shower in 1992, by my Mom and Auntie Kathy. They found it in my Great Aunt Corrine's closet when she moved to a nursing home when she was in her 90's. Auntie Corrine never sewed. They believe it was her sister's, Auntie Ethel's. She sewed. I got my first sewing machine from Auntie Ethel. I also got her treadle White sewing machine.

Brian hung this while I was gone at stitch club last week. He surprised me. It has not hung in any of our home's or ever this apartment, for decades. I talked about getting it out again despite the damage. I went back and forth, thinking should I hang it and possibly have it deteriorate more or leave it rolled up in storage. It is too precious to never see again. It is now hanging on the one large open wall in our apartment, in our bedroom. Yes, that is the treadmill on the bottom right. Not perfect, but it is what it is.

I have a video showing a closeup of the entire quilt. Blogger will not allow me to upload the video. Too much content. If you would like to see the up close video, go HERE

✂️🧵✂️🧵✂️🧵✂️🧵

📚🎧I have loved every, single book by Jennifer Chiaverini, let me start by saying that. This book is about thousands of women who answered their nation’s call during WWI. Canary Girls is about the “munitionettes” who worked grueling shifts often seven days a week, handling TNT and other explosives with little protective gear. These workers suffered from serious, unexplained illnesses. One common symptom, the lurid yellow hue of their skin, earned them the nickname “canary girls.” This book was so informative and interesting. I highly recommend it.

I am working on my finishing pile right now so I will have some new finishes to share with you next week! 😁

Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!  Psalm 27:14

Thank you for stopping by today my friends! I hope you are having lovely weather as we are. Take care.

Stitching and praying,

Vickie



9 comments:

Manuela said...

Hi Vickie
the last stocking looks wonderful.
Can you show all the 12 stocking together? I want to see them together.
The Quilt is a really treasure.
Have a nice weekend, Manuela

Marilyn said...

The stocking is so pretty, & what a gorgeous quilt.
Glad you have it hung to enjoy.
Flossie is too cute looking out the window. :)
Marilyn

Robin in Virginia said...

Your December stocking is so pretty, Vickie! What are you planning to stitch monthly in 2024? The vintage quilt is gorgeous. What a treasure!

Carol said...

This is my favorite stocking of the year, Vickie--just beautiful. And that sweet quilt--I'm so glad you have it on display instead of stuck in a closet. Sounds like a great book--I always appreciate your recommendations :) Have a relaxing weekend ♥

Cathy said...

The stocking is lovely and the quilt is such a treasure! It really is wonderful that you can display it in your home. You mentioned your stitch club. I am trying to get a stitch group together in our county. I started a Faceboook group to see how many would be interested. After just four days, we have 25 members! I have the task of finding a meeting place, and have already reached out to the library, but need other options. Where does your group meet? This is more difficult than I thought!

butterfly said...

Beautiful stocking ,love it .
I read a book sometime ago much the same , those poor women.
Enjoy your weekend hugs June.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

diamondc said...

Greetings Vickie: The stocking is beautiful, love the idea of not putting on the date, I do not stitch dates on anything any longer.
The quilt you were gifted is beautiful, i too would have hung it, your husband is so sweet to do that for you.
I like the sound of this book for book club, thank-you for sharing.

Catherine

MartinaM said...

How beautiful your new stocking looks.
A wonderful quilt and it will stay in the family and continue to be treasured. Many memories are hidden in it.
And how sweet Flossie sits there and watches the action on the street.
Enjoy your week,
Martina