Calendar Poodle SAL

Friday, September 26, 2014

Winky



Hi friends! Nice warm days here with cool nights. The leaves are turning and beginning to fall.

I finally finished up the Winky ornament for Madeleine's Christmas stocking this year.
He is stitched one over one, using DMC, on 28ct pale blue sponged evenweave. The fabric has a very nice sky effect, but I had one heck of a time making it show up in pictures for you.
I used the perfect color blue ribbon Jacquie sent me a few months ago in the finishing. :) I had a pretty piece of felt I bought from JoAnn last year. I did not know what I needed it for, but now I do. It looks great on the back.
This pattern was a freebie you can find right HERE. I did change the shades of blue to match Winky better. Here is a picture of Madeleine's parakeet, Winky, for you.
I left a comment for Tricia this week on her last post. I told her the LK piece she stitched up was sweet. :) Then she asked me if I wanted it! Oh yes! And it came today. With an adorable, sweet card Tricia made, AND an additional chart for me too! Thanks again Tricia. :) I have pulled the threads for the Thankful String already.
Yesterday, I took time away from stitching and got a bit organized. Brian bought me this lovely antique sewing stand last month.
If you recall earlier this year, I showed you how I store my DMC. In that small sewing basket from Woolworths. I just layer cardboard and stack them up in numerical order. Well, I can't part with it. And the system works. BUT I have no more room for DMC. I had gone on to continue stacking my floss in this box.
 
Well, I just didn't think BIG enough with that! HA! I will find another use for that lovely $3.00 box from Goodwill. I made my cardboard layers yesterday and stacked them up in the sewing stand. The Woolworth's sewing basket holds the lowest numbers of DMC through the 900's. The sewing stand begins with the 3000's of the DMC and goes on up. Lots of room left. ;)

I finished reading Good Call by Jase Robertson. What an excellent book. I read it in two days. :) So very much more than I was expecting. I have an increased respect for Jase.

I also read Water Walker by Ted Dekker in two days. :) Yeah, I have been reading a lot lately. This was also an excellent book. If you know Ted, then you know he writes some wild fiction. I just couldn't stop reading it. I have never read a book by Ted that I did not like. The man has GINORMOUS talent!

Off to pet a poodle or two now. tee hee! Have a fabulous weekend my friends. Thank you for stopping by.

Stitching and praying,
Vickie

27 comments:

diamondc said...

Vickie: I love the Winky ornament it is adorable, lovely gift from
Tricia, the card looks hand made, I love your sewing box wow what a great gift.
I read a lot myself, readiung The Enemy by Lee Child very good book.
I am a Robertson fan all the way they are a very honest Family a little whacky but very loveable.

Thank-you for sharing today.

Blessings
Catherine

Barbara said...

Vickie that turned out adorable and she's gonna love it. I must of missed the post about the antique sewing stand but that is simple stunning. Your DH has good taste...but we already knew that.
Blessings.

Ranae said...

Cute ornie,
I love your sewing stand, what a great find
Take care

Brenda A said...

Love the sewing stand! What does it look Ike inside??

Margaret said...

Your Winky came out beautifully! Love it! Great finishing too! Good going on getting your DMC arranged in your new sewing chest. it's gorgeous!

Tricia T said...

So glad you like the charts! I like your finish and your sewing stand. I'm sure you'll have it filled to the brim in no time! : )

Trace4J said...

Hey friend
I love your winky.
So cute.
What a wonderful gift from your hubby.
I would love to see inside too.
Have a great weekend.
Woolie Hugs

Honeybee said...

Winky is just adorable!

Beth said...

Winky is totally adorable!

butterfly said...

Love Winky, looks like my old bird Charlie.
What a lovely stitching project.
Have a lovely weekend hugs.

Annette-California said...

Winky is beautiful! The real Winky and your pretty ornament:) Wow! Love your antique sewing stand. I don't recall getting to see it before either. Sweet of Tricia to send you those charts. love Annette

cucki said...

aww sweettttttttttttttt winky :)
love x

Mii Stitch said...

Winky is just adorable, a wonderful finish that I'm sure your daughter will treasure :) Great charts you've received from Tricia too, enjoy!

gracie said...

Winky looks marvelous. Madeleine will love it. Love the antique sewing stand. I have a sewing box that my FIL gave me when I married Dennis...and I still use it.

Annie said...

Winky is perfect! And what a great sewing box. I think my Mom had one like that many years ago. Brings back fond memories!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Winky is great, your daughter will love it. I know what you mean about storage and how threads have a way of taking over the space you have - your new cabinet is lovely. Pet a poodle for me too:-)

KimM said...

Winky is so cute! Love the fabric you chose to finish the ornament. The sewing stand is wonderful. I have one that looks almost exactly like it that was my great-grandmother's. It sits by my chair and I use it daily.
Best wishes for a great week -
hugs
xxx

Manuela said...

Lovely little finish.
The little bird is very cute.

Greetings, Manuela

Brigitte said...

Oh my, Vickie, what a gorgeous ornament for Madeleine. Winky is looking absolutely great. And that sewing stand is a real treasure. I'd love to have one like that too.

Anne said...

Winky is adorable, both the stitched one and the real one! So cute! Love the finish you made. Oooh that sewing box stand is amazing! Love antique anything, particularly to do with stitching. Hugs and prayers!

Maggee said...

Great job with Winky! He looks just like the real thing! Congrats on the stash present from Tricia. No doubt by now you are near to done on one! Hugs!

Анна Гончарова said...

Вышитая птица очень красивая!

Carol said...

Aww... just look at little Winky--so cute, Vickie! Doesn't your daughter read your blog? Must be not or the surprise would be spoiled.

Love the sewing stand, too--what a beauty!

Andrea said...

Winky is great! Fabulous sewing stand too.

Melanie said...

I absolutely love Winky. Such a cute finish and it totally captures the real thing. If I didn't have so many cats I would totally own a couple of these little guys. My grandmother ALWAYS owned some when I was growing up and they are great.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Love your antique sewing stand, I do love beautiful wooden furniture.
The budgie looks great too.

Meari said...

You've got me curious now... I don't remember the post about how you store your threads. Could you tell me which one it is? Do you have photos?

Oh, and Winky is a very cute birdie!