Calendar Poodle SAL

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Easter!

Christ is risen! Happy Easter my friends!

I stitched up this freebie, available from alita designs, for this Easter.
I used all of the called for DMC colors. I stitched it on this 14 count Charles Craft Hopscotch fabric I have had sitting in my stash for a long time.
I needed a little something to cover the goodies in my Easter basket. What Easter basket you ask? Well, this one.
I also created this Easter basket liner last week. It is not perfect at all. I will not even give you the link to the tutorial I followed, because I should not have followed it! It skipped steps and I had to wing it. I spent hours embroidering the pussy willows. I am not remaking it.
As soon as I set the basket down to get a few pictures, Mabel and Henry both had to come check it out. Of course!

One of the things I changed on the freebie from above is the cross. I made up my own Orthodox cross. Why? Well, last Sunday, Palm Sunday, Brian and I became Orthodox Christians. Brian has been considering this for years. The both of us together have been considering it for a year. All three of our teenagers live at home with us still. They are all Lutheran. Two of them have attended Orthodox church with us. We do not expect them to change. We will continue attending Lutheran church with them as long as they live in our home with us. We attend church every week. We always have and always will. We are strong in our faith and beliefs. We do not want our children to fall away from the church. We simply could not wait for many years to make this change in our lives. I just cannot describe the awesome reverence and holiness of Orthodox Divine Liturgy.

So this is what our Pascha (Easter) basket looked like on Saturday morning when we took it with us to church. Father blessed everyone's baskets after the Liturgy.
I embroidered pussy willows because our Orthodox church uses pussy willows on Palm Sunday instead of Palm branches. We were given the Pascha bread (Kulich) by a member. The kids and I made pastel Easter eggs this year. You can also see a butter lamb. Orthodox Christians fast from meat, fish, eggs, dairy, wine and oil during the entirety of Lent.

We have had this Lord's Supper icon for over 15 years. We put our pussy willows on top of it, in our kitchen.
Well, I am off to worship! Then lots and lots of family time. The kids last day off is tomorrow.

Oh yes. I have already attacked my chocolate bunny! mmmmmmm! And I had a pumpkin chai latte too! LOVE!

Thanks for stopping by. I am so glad you did! Be blessed!

Beading and praying,
Vickie

23 comments:

butterfly said...

HAPPY EASTER sweet friend enjoy your day .
Love your basket so sweet hugs June.

Linda K's Stitching Corner said...

Happy Blessed Easter...enjoy your day with your family and get some stitching in as well too.

I love reading your Blog....

Your Easter Basket is so pretty with the Pastel Easter Eggs and your Loaf of Bread that you got from your Minister. I love Pussy Willows.

I love your stitching...I love how you did your Easter Basket...

Happy Easter
Happy Stitching
Linda K, Railroad

♥ Nia said...

Happy Easter :)

Sally said...

Happy Easter my friend. What a beautiful Easter finish.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Happy Easter, nice little finish!

cucki said...

Happy Easter dear x

Vicki said...

Happy Easter, Vickie!

Jacqueline Morris said...

Your Easter basket is lovey. Smiles and Happy Easter :)

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Happy Easter sweet friend!

Blessings to you and yours always

Julie said...

Your basket is beautiful.
Easter Blessings to you and your family.

Michelle said...

Happy Easter dear Friend xx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Happy Easter!

I am pleased that you have found two churches that you are happy to attend. I am not sure of the differences between the two.

Here in England we default to CofE (Church of England) thanks to King Henry VIII breaking away from the Catholic Church back in the past LOL. There aren't so many different churches, although my Nana used to insist she was "Chapel" because she went to the Wesleyian Chapel Sunday School.

I like your basket, you can fill it with cross stitched pillows when Easter is over!

Margaret said...

I hope you had a wonderful Easter. Love your basket and stitching.

Betsy said...

I'm a day late but I hope you had a very blessed Resurrection Sunday. I'm happy you have found a faith that fills your soul with love for our Lord.
Blessings,
Betsy

KimM said...

I hope your Easter was as lovely as ours. Your stitching is beautiful - love, LOVE your blog.
Blessings to you and your family - xxx

Anne said...

Христос воскрес!!

Your little cross is beautiful as is the pretty liner for your basket!!I love your Last Supper icon! We had quite the feast but it's taking me an adjustment to all the dairy and meat we haven't eaten. My tummy is not liking the change! Hugs and prayers!

Stitching Noni said...

Lovely Easter stitching!
Hope you had a lovely and joyous Easter :o)
Hugs xx

Chris said...

Happy belated Easter. Such wonderful ways that you celebrate and honor this holiday.
Hugs!

Melissa said...

Happy Easter Vickie! I simply love your basket liner :)

I also love how beautiful those easter eggs looks. The colours embody Easter for me I think :)

I hope you had a wonderful day!

moreofhim said...

I love your bread cloth! I'm definitely saving that pattern to do when I start stitching again. So glad you had a happy and blessed Easter! He is risen!!

Blessings - Julie

Carol said...

What a blessed Easter for you and your family, Vickie. I'm sure the Orthodox service was extra special for you and Brian this year. So many lovely traditions in the Orthodox religion...

Lillie said...

Beautiful stitching Vickie.

Catherine said...

Hope your Easter was blessed...love your basket ~ looks perfect!