Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Philippians 2:3-4

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Stained Glass Denim Quilt

Good morning everyone!  How are ya?

I made this quilt in January.  I had been saving worn out or out grown jeans from our family for about 2 years.  I knew I wanted to make a denim quilt but was not happy with any patterns I found for over a year.  I found the tutorial for this quilt online here.  It is called Stained Glass Denim Quilt.  It was a pretty easy quilt to make. 

Stained Glass Denim Quilt
I used black Kona cotton for all the strips and the binding.  I used a light blue flannel for the backing.  I had to chase around to different fabric stores, but finally found a large JoAnn's that carried flannel wide enough, so that I did not have to piece the back, but have one whole solid piece.

This is a comfort quilt.  It is approximately 52"x56".  I made it to lay on the back of my husband's recliner.  I always use cotton batting, so this one is nice and warm.  I quilted it with straight lines on the black strips.  I did not want to wreck the stained glass look.  I love it. 

Stained Glass Denim Quilt made with our family's jeans


The best part about this quilt is that I used denim from every one of us 5 in the family.  The largest blocks are 12"x12".  That was a challenge, as none of us have jeans that wide.  So I used a denim dress that I have not worn in years. 





I will leave you with another picture taken by our 13 year old daughter Madeleine.  Mabel is of course one of her favorite subjects!

Still stitching,
Vickie

11 comments:

Shirlee said...

That is truly a beautiful quilt! I've never seen a denim quilt I like but that one I like very much : ) I wish I could say we don't have jeans wider than 12" here ... lol! Your daughter took a very nice photo of Mabel.

Ruth said...

I love that quilt Vickie, its so gorgeous and the fact that it has a piece of each of you makes it all the more special.
What a great picture Madeleine took of Mabel.

Nicola said...

I really like the whole look of the quilt and the stainglass effect.

I also like that you have recycle fabric.

Terri said...

That is a gorgeous quilt! Beautiful work!

butterfly said...

Great quilt what a great way to use up jeans,Love little Mabel so cute.

gracie said...

What a great quilt! You did a wonderful job...

Pumpkin said...

WOW! That is truly incredible! I love the effect and it really does look like stained glass :o) You are one very talented lady. My mom is the quilter in my family.

Theresa said...

This is so cool!!!! I should start saving my old jeans!!!!!

passionfruitprincess said...

I love denim quilts and made one myself, but yours is just beautiful!
I love all the shades of blue with the black. Great work!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love that quilt! If I send you a bag of our old jeans can you make me one LOL.
I do have a little idea of a project for my son's old jeans but as usual I need to get a "round tuit".

ricketyjo said...

What a fantastic quilt!! I love the idea, and it is such a striking pattern, it's brilliant! :)