Calendar Poodle SAL

Friday, November 13, 2015

Poodletown Greetings

Hi friends! It is colder here now. Frost every night. The trees are bare. Very, very windy yesterday and today. 40 mph wind gusts. I was able to get my dahlias and gladiolas dug out of the garden earlier this week while the weather was still warm and sunny.

Our neighbor Tom, who lives directly across the street, came over the other day to talk to Brian and I. Tom has seen coyotes in his yard and more importantly he has seen them at night go up our driveway and into our backyard. They obviously did not find the poodles they were searching for, turned around, and left the same way. Tom watched. Whew! Makes me nervous. Brian last saw a coyote three summers ago run right down our block, on the sidewalk, turn the corner and head towards the woods. We have a park behind us with a large pond and woods beyond. The river is one block away. Plenty of wildlife around here, but coyotes are NOT welcome.

Do you know what a snow fence is? A vinyl fence with small holes in it. Kind of like thick, plastic netting. We have a length of this, only three feet tall, that we keep mounted (and can easily be removed when we want) across the width of our driveway. This keeps the poodles in. The other three sides of our backyard are fenced in with 6 foot fence. I have read coyotes can clear any and all of this. We only let the poodles out after dark for less than 5 minutes maximum without exception.

My friend Marilyn does not have a cross stitch blog, but she does have a blog. She has Amish and Old Order Mennonite friends. These friends give her stories of interest about their lives to post about weekly. Very interesting topics come up. Marilyn also happens to be a miniature poodle owner. That is not the reason I follow her blog, but it is the reason she asked me to do a guest post about Murphy and the gang. If you are interested, just click on her name up above.

I have been stitching away this week and almost finished Murphy ornament number 2.

I have finished stitching up one friend's ornament, but cannot show you that. ;) Here is where I am so far on the ornament I just began for my mom.
I will keep you guessing for right now.

The final pattern release on my Mystery SAL just came out. I have only the black parts to stitch up on that.

Keep your heart pure, your spirit bright, and your conscience clean!

Stitching and praying,
Vickie

21 comments:

Dirty Martini Queen said...

Just love seeing pics of my favorite poodles! Please be extra careful since you know coyotes have been spotted around your home and those precious babies. We lost Maggie Mae and Gertie to coyotes right in our own yard. I still carry those scars on my heart and probably always will. I don't want you to have to know that pain my friend.
Now let's end on a good note and say your stitching is wonderful as always. Have a good weekend!

marly said...

Oh how scary! I only saw two here over the years and they are like ghosts. So quick! The pups may need your presence out there to scare them off.

Vicki said...

We have coyotes here and yes, they can jump block walls. Last year a neighbor's Great Dane was attacked by one that jumped their wall from the park that runs behind our houses. She wasn't hurt seriously. We don't let our dogs out alone after dark. Hopefully the ones in your neighborhood will move on.

Angela Tucker said...

Good morning, Vickie. Coyotes slink around our neighborhood, usually after chickens. George is 100 pounds of dog, so a bit big for them to go after. We used to have more, but since the vineyards moved in and poisoned the squirrels, the coyotes don't have as much to eat and have moved on. I know that you will keep your pack safe. :-)

My guess on your stitching? The Andes Mountains at sunset. LOL Okay, maybe not. Not very Christmasy. LOL

Have a great day!

gracie said...

As I know you read my blog, you do know that I have coyotes alla the time, and yes, they can scale a 6 foot wall with very little effort. Be careful of the pooches both day and night. .

Angela said...

Coyotes are nasty, scary things. Hopefully it will move on, we have one in our neighbourhood too but I haven't seen it for awhile.

Manuela said...

Coyotes are very scary.
Beautiful stitching start.
Have a nice weekend, Manuela

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Oh goodness, so upsetting. I look forward to seeing your stitching. I am now on the orange part of the SAL. :) Blessings always sweet friend. :)

Penny said...

Very scary about the coyotes especially with your sweet little poodles. I know they have been spotted in Delaware, but fortunately I have never seen one. I look forward to seeing your mom's ornament grow! :)

Purple Pixie Dust said...

I have seen them here but my cats stay inside all the time. you be careful when you let the poodles out. I would have a flash light to make sure they are safe. Coyotes are sneaky and I would hate to see you lose one of your babies. You should go out with them or have your husband do it. Safe is better than I wish I had off. big hugs

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Coyotes sound rather dramatic! The most dangerous thing we have here are foxes which will grab chickens but I doubt they'd tackle a poodle.

Julie said...

I hope the coyotes wander off elsewhere and your furry friends are safe.

Bea said...

Lots of wildlife here as well - deer, porcupines, bald eagles, coyotes, a few wolves and the occasional black bear - so people are very cautious with their pets after dark.

Nice start on the ornament - can't decide if you're starting mountains or a heart!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I have lots of wildlife here in the Canadian countryside. One morning I watched a coyote walk down our laneway but I've never seen one since. Several times a year, we hear their distinctive cries at night...yips unlike the wolves howls. You must be very careful of your pups. Coyotes, like most wildlife are always hungry and any prey will do.
Love your stitching. Take care, J

gominam said...

Take care of those cute poodles, nice to have a neighbor warn you of those nasty coyotes. My guess is Santa Claus ornament:)

Margaret said...

Please do be careful with your sweet poodles! OMG! I would be totally freaked out! Coyotes! Not good. :(

Anonymous said...

Vicki,
I love reading your blog. This is the first time, I feel the need to comment on your blog. I live in Madison and my neighborhood, has coyotes, too. I have a miniature pinscher and worried about the coyote coming after my dog. I have no fence to keep out the coyotes.
One morning, I was out in the yard with my dog and a coyote strolled right by my dog. I thought it was over for him. But, the coyote was interested in the rabbit that he was chasing. I yelled for it, to get. And the coyote ran across the street. It happened so fast. I was in shock to see this happening in the city. Now I see it is happening all over.

On a happier note, love all your project that you are working on. I wish I could be as patience as you, stitching one over one.

Hugs and Blessings,
Annette

Sarah in Stitches said...

Oh man, that's terrifying! I know what you're going through - we live in a subdivision, but there's a line of trees right up against our backyard where the woods begin. Our neighbors have warned us about coyotes and bobcats, and we only let our cats out for a few minutes during the day, but it's still pretty scary. Hope you don't have any more sightings!

moreofhim said...

We have coyotes here, too, and I don't let my babies out without watching them even though we have a six foot chain link fence all the way around the yard. I've lost too many chickens to those horrible things and I know what they are capable of.

Hope you're feeling good with no pain!

Blessings - Julie

Stitching Noni said...

Oh my goodness.... I don't think I could handle knowing that coyotes are around targeting puppies (or any other animal).... It must be quite nerve racking having to stay on alert all the time.
Stay safe
Hugs xx

Maggee said...

Not liking that you see coyotes in the neighborhood, but I KNOW you wouldn't let the pups out at night without human companionship, so I will rest easy! Loved reading the story of your pets and their differences! It is all family! Hugs!