Calendar Poodle SAL

Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Giving Thanks

 Hi friends! I have a Thanksgiving stitch I just finished that I would like to share with you. 🦃Giving Thanks Table Mat by Blackbird Designs 🦃

This pattern was borrowed to me by my friend Beth from my stitch group. The pattern is bigger than this. It is a little more of a sampler. I adjusted it, as I wanted to only stitch the beautiful vine and that big gorgeous turkey! Problem is, I am bad at figuring things like that out. Ugh. This is why my borders are so tight on this piece! I started stitching on the bottom and got to the top and almost had a heart attack! When I was done, I had a quarter inch left from the top feather to the edge of the fabric. I have never done that before! Not like that!! But I pulled it off. It may not look like it in the pictures, but in real life you can see it all just fine. I really wanted to use this piece of linen and it just worked.

This pattern is found in the 2004 Keepsakes Calendar, and yes, it is November's pattern. I used some of the called for DMC, and I switched some, 'cause I am like that! I stitched this one over two on 36ct Toasted Coconut Tree of Life Samplings linen gifted to me by my dear friend Peggy. Thank you so much Beth, Peg and BBD!

🦃🧡🦃🧡🦃🧡🦃🧡🦃🧡🦃

🧡💛🤎November Mini Sampler by From the Heart Needle Art by Wendy. 🤎💛🧡

This sweet mini sampler was a gift I received a few days ago from Donna She thought of me and my cubby when she saw it. 🥰 Well thank you Donna! I dropped everything and stitched it right up. It is perfect! I stitched this with all DMC, some of the called for and some of my own choosing. All one over two on 40ct to make it fit in the cubby.

I would like to now offer this pattern to one of my stitching friends. If you would like this pattern, please be a sidebar follower of this blog. Leave a comment on this post stating you would like this pattern. This giveaway is open to all of my friends anywhere. I will draw the name of the winner on Thursday, December 1st.

🧡💛🤎🧡💛🤎🧡💛🤎

I am now stitching my November's Chrysanthemums. These monthly samplers take about two weeks to stitch up.

My breathing is so very, very much better my friends. I do not feel back to where I was before I had the Methacholine Challenge Test on November 2nd, but very close. My breathing improved dramatically over the course of one week due to Saint Nectarios. Brian and I had told our parish priest what had happened to me and how I was suffering.. We had asked him to anoint me with holy oil. He did on Sunday November 13th and prayed over me. He then gave me this icon of Saint Nectarios and holy oil from Saint Nectarios' vigil lamp. Father told me to use it twice a day under my nose and upon my lips. He also gave me this prayer rope. That is what this bracelet is called in the Orthodox church. A very good, straight forward explanation of the prayer rope (better than I can do) is here: prayer rope 

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, And into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting, And His truth endures to all generations. Psalm 100: 4-5

I hope all my American friends have a Blessed Thanksgiving! We are headed to my in-laws this year. I am making my Strawberries and Creme Jello I have made for decades now and sweet potatoes too. We will all gather at Mom's tomorrow to draw names for gifts. That is how we do it on my side of the family. 

If you are traveling, be safe my friends! I hope you are not stressed out if you are hosting. I can only imagine! I only "hosted" once! It was just four of us. That was during COVID. Otherwise we have always alternated years between our parents homes. 

Until next time, you take care, and thank you for stopping by. I appreciate every single one of you!

Stitching and praying,
Vickie





10 comments:

Stasi said...

Vickie, your two Thanksgiving pieces are great additions to your collection. Glad you are feeling better...just in time for Thankgiving!

Donna G. said...

Cute turkey. 🦃 Happy Thanksgiving. Glad your breathing is better.

butterfly said...

Happy Thanksgiving my sweet friend.
Great turkey stitch.
So happy you are feeling much better, hugs June.

Robin in Virginia said...

Oh Vickie, that is good news about your breathing. So very thankful to hear that! Wishing you and your family a very blessed Thanksgiving. Your Thanksgiving pieces are lovely.

MartinaM said...

A great new pattern and great finish. And also another pattern is to, cute little squirrel. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, what a good idea to go to your pastor.
I wish you a nice Thanksgiving with your family,
Hugs, Martina

Manuela said...

Hello Vickie,
lovely two new finishes. I like them.
I'm glad you are feeling better.
Hope you and your family had a Happy Thanksgiving.
Hugs, Manuela

diamondc said...

Happy Holidays Vickie and Family: It is good news about your breathing, I am one that believes in Prayer and Saints who help to heal.
It is interesting about the Prayer Rope, thank-you for sharing with us, we Pray the Rosary almost daily.
Lovely finishes on your stitching and finishing, I have been at the point of almost giving up on a design when I finished and found out I only had a little bit of fabric for constructing the design, yours looks perfect.

Have a lovely week
Catherine

Carol said...

Great news about your breathing--definitely something to be thankful for :) Your turkey pillow is wonderful! And yes, hosting is very stressful for me--with 20 people here, I am totally wiped out (and it's been a week!).

Astrids dragon said...

No worries, you figured it out and your turkey looks great!
That is a lovely addition to your cubby, I love the fall colours.
What a true blessing from your priest! Continued prayers for you. I couldn't connect to your prayer rope link.

Astrids dragon said...

Never mind! I refreshed the page and I can connect now!