Calendar Poodle SAL

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Swan Lake

Hi friends! I would like to show you a gift I received from our friend Mary. She went to an estate sale and bought a collection of linens. She gifted me with these lovely guest towels since they have pink and she thought of me. She also included the sweet pink notecards. Thank you once again Mary for your generous gifts.
I have been stitching away on Swan Lake and it is finished! Marly you were right! I did not even know I was going to add pink to this pattern! I really did not. I thought this would be the only sampler thus far in my AotH that does not have some version or shade of pink. Truly. Until I got to the swans. Oh dear. Yep. On this linen, the called for DMC 3865 does not show up. So then Ecru? I could not get myself to stitch Ecru swans. I just did NOT want cream swans. No.

Now I know what you are thinking. Pink swans?!? Is Vickie crazy? Quite possibly! I stitched the first leg of each cross stitch in VMSS Baby Pink and White, then followed through with  the second half of the cross stitch in B5200 on top. Keep in mind, I am doing this so the swans show up on my 25ct cream Dublin linen, NOT because I fancy pink swans.😉 This is how it turned out.
What do you think? They are still not very dark. They have the faintest pink to them. Their back wing is half VMSS Baby Pink and White and half  DMC Ecru.
Once again I had to make many, many color changes to this pattern to make it look anything like the pattern cover picture.
Instead of CC Camouflage, I used DMC 3023 and647
Instead of CC Magnolia Blossom, I used VMSS Baby Pink and White and B5200
Instead of GA Parchment, I used Ecru
Instead of GA Tin Bucket, I used DMC 3768
Instead of GA Toasted Barley, I used DMC 644
Instead of WDW Dolphin, I used DMC 169

The DMC alternatives given in the pattern did not match up to the picture. That is why I had to pick my own.

I found the capital letter N in my BBD Honeysuckle Manor pattern book. I just used the satin stitch as directed in the pattern.😊

Yes, Brian and I are married 25 years this year. October 3rd is our Wedding Anniversary.

Okay. Am I the only person who has NOT read Jane Eyre? Maybe. I thought it was time I fixed that. So I listened to it instead.😉 I really liked this book a lot, but wowza, this is a looOooOng book.
Jane Eyre is the story of a small, plain-faced, intelligent, and passionate English orphan. Jane is abused by her aunt and cousin and then attends a harsh charity school. Through it all she remains strong and determinedly refuses to allow a cruel world to crush her independence or her strength of will. A masterful story of a woman's quest for freedom and love. Jane Eyre is partly autobiographical, and Charlotte Brontë filled it with social criticism and sinister Gothic elements. A must read for anyone wishing to celebrate the indomitable strength of will or encourage it in their growing children.
I would like to offer a pattern as a giveaway to all of my follower friends. Once again this is a pattern that was taken from a magazine. It is two pages, and I will be folding these pages to fit into a business size envelope. This giveaway is open to all of my friends anywhere. I will draw a name on Monday the 28th of August. Just leave a comment on this post if you would like to receive this pattern.
I have been very busy with projects not involving cross stitch at all. Well, I did organize all my linen. And all of my patterns.😲I hope to be back soon. Until next time, have a blessed day my friends!

Stitching and praying,
Vickie




32 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Vickie, good for you on getting this block finished and happy really early anniversary to you and your husband. What color did you use to fill in the windows? Perhaps, outlining the swans in that color would help them pop. Enjoy your week!

Astrids dragon said...

What a beautiful gift from Mary, what a treat.
I love your pink swans! Maybe outline them in just a shade darker pink so they stand out a little more? Or, leave them as is, you still know what they are.
Um, I haven't read Jane Eyre yet either. I think I have it, but it's packed away until I refinish a bookshelf.

gracie said...

Love Swan Lake....lovely as always is your stitching.

RJ said...

What a sweet gift from Mary...they are perfect for you Vickie. I love how your Swan Lake is coming. It is going to be so beautiful. Love the addition of the pink. I would love to be included in your drawing as I love anything French. Thank you again for being so kind to me...you will never know how much it meant to me. RJ

Linda said...

Congrats on the great finish Vickie.

Linda

MartinaM said...

What a nice gift from Mary, it is perfect for you. I love the color of your swans, the whole motif looks so harmonious.
You give us a really nice giveaway, please count me in.
Congratulations on the silver wedding. With my husband and me it still takes 6 years.
Big Hugs, Martina

Brigitte said...

So lovely to see Swan Lake finished, Vickie. And the pink you used is so light and delicate, I just love it.
Very nice gift from Mary.

Lili said...

Beautiful gift from Mary!!

Love your swan block! I like the swans, looks like an old sampler.

Manuela said...

Hello Vickie,

what a lovely gift from Mary.
I like you swan. With the touch of pink the swans look very noble.

Have a nice weeek.
Hugs Manuela

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Lovely stitching. :) What a sweet and thoughtful gift. Blessings always sweet friend. ((hugs))

Stasi said...

Aren't stitching friends the best? The towels are so sweet and delicate.
Swan Lake is lovely and the pink swans perfect. Doesn't it feel great to have your linens organized?
Are you planning anything special for your 25th?
Have a good one!

Unknown said...

What a sweet gift from Mary...they are perfect for you Vickie. I love how your Swan Lake is coming.
ดูหนัง

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely linen gift from Mary, so sweet of her.
I did smile at the Pink Swans but actually they don't scream "I want to be a flamingo!" they just look slightly white with a hint of blush.
Congratulations on the forthcoming 25th anniversary. Any ideas how you will celebrate?

Barb said...

What a lovely gift. My neighbor is also a pink loving lady. She just did her bathroom in all pink! I think the swans look great!

Carolien said...

Hi Vickie,

Love your swans!
Happy stitching!!!

Hugs Carolien

Jenny said...

Hi Vickie,
I LOVE your swans! Wow...you are so creative...your solution to the floss not showing up is nothing short of brilliant! They are just beautiful!

I loved Jane Eyre as well! I did not read it though until I was an adult so don't feel bad! Lol! I also would love to be entered in your drawing! This sampler is beautiful!

Sending hugs and love to you my dear friend!

Deb said...

Gosh Vickie I have just come across your blog and it is beautiful. But wow your work is stunning. I will go and bookmark your site straight away. Thanks for sharing

Von said...

Swan Lake is just lovely, Vickie!

Once I finally decided to read Jane Eyre, I was so glad I did!! I just loved it. Now Wuthering Heights left a very bad taste in my mouth, lol.

Margaret said...

I like your pale pink swans! :D I actually re-read Jane Eyre again recently. I think I've only read it twice. I'm afraid I'm a huge Bronte fan, so yes, I've read it. lol! And all the other Bronte sisters' novels.

Carol said...

I think people automatically associate you with the color pink, Vickie :) Such great gifts from Mary and I do like the pink swans... They are so "you!"

Haven't read Jane Eyre in years although I did see the movie not too long ago. I definitely need to re-read some of the old classics.

Enjoy your weekend!

Cathy said...

That's such a beautiful gift that you received. And I love the pink swans. They're perfect in that piece!

Hilda said...

Oh I love your Swan Lake! It looks as if it's evening, the sun just has disapeared at the horizon but is still sending some beams that let the swans shine in a soft glow of palest pink. Enchanting!

Hugs
Hilda

Andrea said...

A wonderful gift from Mary. I can see the swans perfectly well and they don't look out of place at all. Have a good weekend.

Maggee said...

The swans look just fine! I expect nothing less than a pop of pink SOMEWHERE in your pieces! :) (I do not need to be entered in the drawing... ackkk, I have plenty!!) Hugs!

Joe D Bear said...

Vickie, Congratulations to you on your 25th anniversary! That is quite a milestone! My computer is in the shop for 2 weeks and the screen on this laptop is so light that I can't even see the pink swans! I'm sure they look fine and who says there can't be a pink swan! ..I would love to be entered in your drawing as I have a French obsession too. Ihope you have a wonderful weekend. Mary

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Very pretty pink swans Vickie and beautiful guest towels.

Julie said...

Pretty pink swans.
A lovely gift from your friend.

Lillie said...

Such pretty gift from Mary.
Congratulations on your 25th Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Love Swan Lake....lovely as always is your stitching.

ตารางคะแนน

Sally said...

Swan Lake is beautiful Vickie.

Lovely gift from Mary.

moreofhim said...

Beautiful linens! I love your pink swans and all the colors you chose. As always, your stitching and color choices are perfect.

Jane Eyre is such a good book. I'm glad you got to experience it.

Blessings - Julie

Sarah in Stitches said...

Gorgeous stitching! At first I was like, how did she stitch pink swans? But they're lovely! You've done a great job blending the colors so it's hardly pink at all. Congrats on getting another block finished! :D