Calendar Poodle SAL

Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Joyous News and The Horrid News

Good Morning friends! I hope you are well? I have prayed for you this morning. I am so thankful for you my faithful friends. I know my stitching has been almost nonexistent for a month now. Thanks for still caring and stopping by. Your comments make me happy. Life has been an emotional roller coaster lately. Let us start with the happy shall we?

Jacob has graduated! =) Yesterday at the Pius XI Fieldhouse, 194 students graduated. Jacob with high honors from the National Honor Society. It was wonderful. I cried. We are so very proud of him. It is hard to believe he is now a Marquette University Freshman! I am so happy he is still living at home.

This will be a crazy week of continued cleaning and preparing the home for the party we will have for him with family on next Sunday.

On Tuesday I will be receiving the second test shot in my facet joint. I expect the same things as the last time. Relief for hours after the injection, but then heightened pain due to the strenuous activities they want me to do to "test" the injection results. If this is"positive" again, then I will get the radio frequency nerve burning done in two more weeks.

On to the Horrid. Mabel took a turn for the worse 4 days ago. She woke up in the morning unable to walk. We took her into the vet. Of course our "regular" vet had off a few days, so we saw another nice vet. She took x-rays, and poor, sweet Mabel now has 6 herniated discs total. The two new ones are pinching the nerves, causing the pain and immobility. The vet gave her a super steroid injection and gave us very, very strong pain pills for her. I have continued on with her other medications as well.

She has improved very slightly every day. She can take one or two steps. The largest problem is that she cannot void normally. She really, really holds it. We have her laying on towels in the kitchen mostly. 

We did speak with our vet on Friday. We have an appt. with him on Tuesday. He will evaluate her and be honest with us. We will not keep her if she can only remain normal from the waist forward. He did say he has seen dogs as bad as Mabel and worse, who are paralyzed, walk again pain-free. We are hoping and praying for that. What she needs right now is time. Time for the steroids to do their anti-inflammatory thing. That is what it took for the other suffering dogs he has treated.

This has been so extremely difficult. We do not want to rush her euthanasia. We love her very much. We can give it some time. We are controlling the pain for her. She wags her tail for us. Loves her treats. Perks her ears up when she hears those treats in the kitchen. How very difficult. How very saddening to end a precious little life. We will though, if that is what the vet advises.

I hope you  have a happy weekend friends. Sorry for the depressing talk. I just wanted you to know what is happening here. We are hoping. We are praying.♥

Praying,
Vickie

38 comments:

Margaret said...

I've been sending good thoughts and prayers for Mabel. I hope there is good news from the vet on Tuesday and that Mabel continues to improve. Congratulations to Jacob on his great achievement and graduation! Good luck with your second test shot as well. I hope the results are even better this time.

marly said...

I'm so sorry little Mabel has to endure this, but glad she has loving caretakers for her comfort. That decision is based on tremendous love, yet causes us such heartbreak. Hoping for the best.

Carol said...

Oh, dear little Mabel--I know your heart breaks for her, Vickie... I sure hope she improves to the point where her quality of life is good again. She's lucky to have such a loving family!

Congratulations to Jacob--he has a bright future ahead :)

cucki said...

Oh dear...sweetie Mabel ..I am sending lots of prayers for Mabel...with big hugs ...
Congrats to Jacob ..
Sending you lots of blessings x

Chris said...

Oh Vickie! I am so sorry about Mabel. I will be keeping her in my thoughts and hoping for her mobility to return.
Congratulations to your son! I hope that you have a wonderful celebration today with the family!

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

hello ma dear friend, je prie pour vous et le petit chien, fort, bisous de FRANCE

Varla Lee said...

Oh dear Vickie...what to say? So bad and sad news, make me feel sad. Like every sunday and other ordinary days i will pray hard for you and your little princess...kiss her for me, and i wish you strong, it is not easy for nobody to have to think to separate from someone who we love... but jus God Has the last Word and i hope will be positive. Hugs, hugs and thousand of hugs, Varlis.

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Many congratulations to Jacob,no wonder you are proud:)
Hoping all goes well with your procedures, am still keeping you in my thoughts
And Mabel too..
That you will do what is the very best for her shows how much you love her.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

What a proud Mom you should be. Congratulations to him and best wishes for his future endeavors! I'm so sorry to hear about Mabel's struggles. It has to be awfully hard to make these decisions. Hoping for the best results possible.

Melissa said...

Vickie, I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles with Maybel! The only advice I have to offer is from my own experience. A couple years ago my dog passed from a prolonged bout of cancer. She would have her good days and her bad days. All you can do is be there for her. You will know when it's time. Sending you lots of prayers and strength!

xoxo

Melissa

gracie said...

Congratulations to your son. I am sure you will make the best decision for Mabel. Having been there myself teice in the last 8 years, I understand how difficult it is. My thoughts are with you.

Penny said...

It is always so hard to make those kinds of decisions for our beloved pets(family members). Sending prayers that everything will work out for her. I know you must be very proud of your son - congratulations to him!

Anne said...

First I would like to congratulate your son on his graduation. You must be so proud of him. Oh Vickie, my heart breaks to hear about your darling little Mabel and all the pain she is going through. I am praying for you both a lot. ((HUGS))

~Narita said...

I'm sending you prayers and trying to keep good, positive thoughts for you and your family

Sweet Sue said...

only you can know what's right for your little one, she feels your love and that's best for her until her meds start to help. my thoughts are with you...

Trace4J said...

Good Morning Friend
Congrats to your Jacob.
How wonderful.
So sorry to hear the other news.Praying for you and your sweet Mabel.
Giant hugs to you

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Oh sending prayers out to you today for yourself and sweet Mabel, too. I pray you both become pain free very soon.

Congrats on the graduation with full honors. What a wonderful achievement. I know he'll do great and amazing thing in the future. :)

Blessings always dear friend.

Dawn said...

so sorry for Mabel, my parents just went through this last year with their poodle, it took months of treatment but you would never know she was in so much pain and unable to walk last year, she is back to jumpin into laps, I hope this treatment helps her too.

I know you are torn with your sons accomplishements and your baby girl. Everyone is pulling for you.
we continue to pray.

Cath said...

Congrats on the good news , and sorry about the bad. I do hope Mabel improves and you do not have to make that hard decision yet. Thinking of you .XXX

Giovanna said...

Oh Vickie, how sad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Mabel, hoping for an improvement. Congratulations to Jacob! And I hope the 2nd shot goes as it should.

Furry Bottoms said...

I am so so sorry about Mabel. This post was mixed news. Mabel will also let you know when its time. You are in my prayers and thoughts!

Annie said...

Congrats to the new graduate! Hope you and Mabel start feeling better!

Simply Victoria said...

Joy and sorrow all wrapped up together...hope your dear little Mabel will be pain-free soon.

Catherine said...

Oh, Vickie, my heart breaks for Mabel. Praying that the shots and meds work for her and sending prayers for you too. Congrats to your son ~ and good luck to him with his future schooling!

Minnie said...

Congratulations on your son's graduation, best wishes for his future. Sorry to hear about Mabel pain, I hope the meds do their job quickly.

moreofhim said...

Dear Vickie:

Congratulations to your son! This is such a milestone - for him and for you.

Continuing to pray for Mabel and for you. It's so hard to go through the health issues with our precious pets. Also praying for you and this next shot.

Take care and have a wonderful party for your son!

Blessings - Julie

Annette-California said...

Congratulations to Jacob. Prayers for Mabel and for you and your family Vickie. Lots of love Annette

Lillie said...

Congrats to Jacob and to you too.
Sorry to read about Mabel, my prayers and hope she recovers quickly.

Take care!
Hugs

Jane said...

Congratulations to Jacob and his wonderful achievement, no wonder you are so proud! Good luck with your next injection too and I hope the effects last longer than before.
Dear little Mabel, she's been through so much and I can totally understand how you feel as my own parents were given the same option for their little dog last week as he now has kidney disease and lost the use of one of his back legs. Our beloved pets give us so much love that this is the time to show it back and be strong, you will know when the time is right and if she could talk back to you then it would be to say a massive thankyou for doing the right thing ~ I'm thinking of you xxx

Mouse said...

first of all congratulations to our son and I hope you have a wonderful party for him :)
re mabel sending huge hugs and positive thoughts that the treatment works .... and you are doing every thing you can including being prepared for the worst if you have to and paws crossed you don't ....

take care love mouse xxxxxx

Krista said...

A big congratulations to your son on his achievement. I pray that your treatments will go well, and that Mabel's visit will bring good news. I hope there is something the vet can do for her. Thinking of you and Mabel. xx

Carissa said...

Congrats to your son on his graduation and I'm so sorry to hear about Mabel, I pray she will get through this and heal quickly.

Dirty Martini Queen said...

Congrats to Jacob and what an accomplished young man already but his future is still shining brightly before him. How proud you must be of him.
Sending lots of healing cuddles to Miss Mabel and hoping Henry understands that she needs some extra mommy time right now so he doesn't get jealous. I know the vet will help you to understand what the next course of action will be for her.
Donna

Mii Stitch said...

Congratulations for your son's graduation! This is great news! I hope Mabel doesn't suffer too much x

KimM said...

Congratulations on the graduation. The certainly grow up quickly, don't they?
My heart goes out to you and Mabel. Having just gone through the pain of losing our two oldest little girls, I know the anguish you are going through. I will keep you in my prayers.

Cindy said...

Praying for you and Mabel both!

Lumiruusu said...

Congratulations for Your son :)

Oh,Iam so sorry to hear about swet little Mabel!
I am praying that medication helps her and she will be her happy little self soon.


I have been busy too ,only some small x-stitches to my hummingbird :)

Melanie said...

I'm so sorry about Mabel. :(
It's so heartbreaking to see your animals in pain.